As the summer marches on, I am finding it important to stock up my arsenal of recipes with dishes that are quick and easy to make. (I don't want to be a slave to a hot stove when there is sunshine to soak up and fun to be had!)
Lately, I noticed that lettuce wraps have quickly taken over my arsenal of recipes. I love them and can't get seem to get enough of them! I like the fact that most lettuce wraps can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. They don't require a ton of ingredients (more money in my pocket for summertime activities). Most recipes are filling yet they are light on the belly (hello bikini season!).
Asian chicken/turkey lettuce wraps is currently my favorite type. They are simple but jammed packed with flavor. These wraps are great for hosting gatherings with because you can prepare them ahead of time. I think they are wonderful lunch and potlucks options, since they are easy to pack up and you don't have to worry about transportation, reheating or assembly once you reach your destination. You can load up on the meat mixture to make them a substantial dinner entree. (Can you tell I love these? I'm giving you every excuse under to sun to make them! LOL)
Asian Lettuce Wraps Recipe
-1 1/4 lbs of ground chicken or turkey
-1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
-3 stalks of green onions, sliced
-3 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 tablespoon of cooking oil
-1 1/2 tablespoons hoison sauce
-1 tablespoon Maggi seasoning sauce (You can substitute with low sodium soy sauce if you don't have it on hand.)
-1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
-1 teaspoon rice vinegar
-1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
-3-5 cracks of fresh ground black pepper
-Approximately 12 leaves of your lettuce of choice (butter lettuce, bib lettuce, Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, etc.)
1. Wash your lettuce leaves and pat them dry. Set them aside.
2. Heat a tablespoon of cooking oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Then add in the freshly grated ginger, sliced green onions, and minced garlic, and sauté them until they become fragrant (about 3 minutes). Next, add the ground chicken or turkey into the skillet. Cook until the meat has browned and crumbled (about 10 to 15 minutes).
3. While your meat is cooking, whisk the hoison sauce, Maggi seasoning sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and fresh ground pepper into a small bowl.
4. Toss in the water chestnuts after your meat has browned. Then pour in your sauce mixture. Mix everything around to distribute the sauce and water chestnuts evenly in the meat mixture. Adjust the meat mixture according to taste.
5. To serve, just scoop the meat mixture onto the lettuce wraps.
***If you wanted, you can add the following to your wraps:
-Chow mein bits
-Rice or quinoa